Wapping High School was opened to increase the provision of secondary education for families living in the South Wapping Priority Zone. Our admissions policy will give priority to the community it was set up to serve. We also expect that there will be spaces for families from outside the South Wapping Priority Zone and we encourage all families to apply regardless of where they live.
All children who have a statement of Special Educational Needs where Wapping High School is named on the statement will be admitted, subject to consultation with their local authority.
All applications should be made through the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, using their application form.
The following extract has been taken from the school's admissions policy.
For the full policy click here or contact the school directly.
Procedures where Wapping High School is under-subscribed
Where Wapping high School is under-subscribed, it will admit all applicants
Procedures where Wapping High School is over-subscribed
Where the number of applications for admissions is greater than the published admission number, applications are considered against the following the criteria in the order that they are set out below.
- Children who are currently or have previously been in the care of a local authority or are provided with accommodation by the authority (looked-after children*)
- Children who live within the South Wapping Priority Admissions Zone** and have a sibling*** already admitted to the school and in attendance at the same time.
- Other children who have a sibling*** already admitted to the school and in attendance at the same time.
- Children who live within the South Wapping Priority Admissions Zone** In the event that there are more applications under this criteria than places remaining, the Governors will prioritise between these children by reference to distance****.
- Other children by reference to distance****
* A looked-after child is defined in Section 22 of the Children Act 1989.
** The South Wapping Priority Admissions Zone is defined as:
- South of Cable Street and Royal Mint Street
- West of Butcher Row
- North of the River Thames
- East of Mansell Street
*** The definition of siblings includes brother, sister, step-brothers, step-sisters, half-brothers, half-sisters and adopted brothers and sisters living at the same address
**** Distance will be defined as the shortest walking route from the registered home address to 22 Wapping Lane, E1W 2RL (the centre of the South Wapping Priority Admissions Zone)
Notwithstanding the provisions of the above points, the Secretary of State may direct Wapping High School to admit a named student to Wapping High School on application from LBTH.
To read the full admissions policy visit Download admissions policy.